The Easiest Baked Zucchini Fries
Craving some comfort food? Try these healthy Baked Zucchini Fries. This nutritious take on traditional French fries satisfies your cravings without all the added fat and calories.
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
If I had a dime for every time I have heard ‘oh…your a dietitian…you would never eat a French fry’ I probably wouldn’t need to work anymore. But here’s the thing, just because I’m a registered dietitian doesn’t mean I don’t love comfort food just as much as everyone else. And trust me…I eat it too! But at the same time, I love transforming comfort food into a more nutritious version that you can enjoy daily…that’s where this Baked Zucchini Fries recipe comes in.
Next time you have a craving for something salty and crunchy, instead of heading to the fast food restaurant and ordering the fries, try these Baked Zucchini Fries instead. Not only are they incredibly easy to make (quicker than driving to the drive through and waiting for your order), but because they are baked, you can feel good about eating them too. And as a bonus, it’s a fun way to get my family to eat more veggies.
Health Benefits of Zucchini
While you can find zucchini pretty much any time of the year, it’s very abundant in the summer. Here are some amazing benefits to this versatile veggie.
- High in Vitamin A. One cup of cooked zucchini supplies 40% of your daily recommended vitamin A. Vitamin A is known for supporting your vision and immune system.
- Antioxidants. Zucchini is loaded with carotenoids that support your skin and heart.
Look for zucchini that is firm, smooth, with no visible scarring. It’s a great alternative to pasta, which makes it great for enjoying those comfort food cravings with fewer carbs.
Ingredients for Baked Zucchini Fries
- Zucchini – Enjoy alone or combine with yellow squash.
- Whole Grain Breadcrumbs – gives the fries that classic crunch.
- Parmesan cheese – adds additional flavor and protein.
- Garlic – the ultimate flavor ingredient!
- Olive Oil – just a scant amount of oil to keep the breading adhered to the zucchini.
How to Make Baked Zucchini Fries
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the veggies into 1/4 inch slices – or about the size of fast-food french fries.
- Pour all of your breading ingredients into a ziplock bag, seal, and shake to combine. Add the sliced zucchini and oil into the bag, seal, and shake until the bread crumbs and parmesan mixture is completely coating the vegetables. (Just like the old Shake and Bake days!)
- Pour veggie strips onto the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until slightly crispy and starting to turn golden brown.
More Recipes Like This!
- Parmesan Baked Tomato Bites
- High Fiber Pizza Bites
- Easy Cauliflower Pizza
- The Easiest Instant Pot Asparagus Recipe
- Low Carb Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave
Baked Zucchini Fries
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large yellow squash or use 2x zucchini
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup whole grain breadcrumbs seasoned
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice zucchini and squash into 1/4 inch slices. About the size of a fast-food french fry.
- To a large ziplock bag, add breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and pepper. Seal the bag and shake to combine.
- Add sliced vegetables and oil into the bag of bread crumbs. Seal and shake until the breading has coated the zucchini and squash completely.
- Pour breaded vegetables evenly onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until slightly crispy and golden brown. Serve warm.