This Instant Pot asparagus is a simple and fresh spring and summer favorite that’s ready in 10 minutes!
Forget the bland and soggy asparagus of your childhood, the Instant Pot does all the work for you, creating tender and flavorful asparagus in just ten minutes of hands-off time. Serve this healthy low-carb side with a bean burger or keto vegetarian lasagna for a perfectly balanced meal that’s packed with nutrition.
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s low carb. If you’re watching your carb intake, this Instant Pot asparagus recipe is the perfect side dish to add to your menu. With only 5 grams of carbohydrate per serving, you can easily stay within your meal plan carb limit.
- It’s full of flavor. Simple is best when it comes to side dishes. This asparagus is seasoned with lemon juice, zest, and ghee. You can get fancy with your toppings and garnishes if you’d like, but there’s no need. It will taste amazing and fresh as is.
- It’s easy! The Instant Pot saves the day with this one. Once the asparagus is washed, all you need to do is put it in the Instant Pot and set the timer. It’s a totally hands-off side dish, letting you focus on getting the rest of the meal ready for you and your family.
What you’ll need
Asparagus- Nothing screams spring quite like fresh vibrant spears of asparagus. While you can enjoy this dish any time of year, I highly recommend making it on repeat while asparagus is in-season as the flavor and texture just can’t be beaten! Asparagus is a low-calorie and low-carb vegetable that makes a beautiful and nutritious addition to dinner any night of the week.
Ghee– otherwise known as clarified butter, is butter that has been simmered with the milk solids removed, leaving only pure butterfat behind. Ghee has a higher smoke point temperature than butter and has a nutty flavor profile, making it taste more complex than regular butter. If you don’t have ghee, you can substitute regular butter for this recipe.
Lemon- The lemon juice and zest adds a fresh flavor to the asparagus, helping to lighten up the sometimes strong taste asparagus can have. If someone you’re cooking for is on the fence about asparagus, the lemon really helps brighten this recipe up and makes it a real crowd-pleaser!
How to make asparagus in the instant pot
- Place the asparagus on a wire trivet in the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water. Trim the spears so that they fit if needed.
- Turn the pressure cooker to low pressure and set the timer to 4 minutes. Let the pressure cooker get up to steam and then naturally release the steam.
- Remove the asparagus from the Instant Pot and transfer it to a tray. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the ghee, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small bowl and drizzle over top of the asparagus.
- Optional: Serve with cranberries, pistachios and capers sprinkled on top.
PRO TIP: Change the time to make the asparagus as soft as you want. For al dente asparagus spears, set the timer for 3 minutes. For softer spears, set the timer to 6 minutes. If your asparagus spears are extra thick, add 2 minutes (5 minutes for al dente and 8 minutes for soft).
What to do with leftover instant pot asparagus
If you happen to have leftover asparagus, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. To reheat asparagus, place in a single layer on a foil-lined pan and cook in the oven at 350 degrees F for 3-5 minutes or until warmed through.
Reheating asparagus in the air fryer is a great way to warm it back up and keep it tender (not soggy). Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Store asparagus in the refrigerator in a jar filled with 2-3 inches of water. It should stay fresh and crisp for up to 4 days. Change the water daily and wrap the top in a damp paper towel or dishcloth for the best results.
Asparagus can be made in the air fryer by spraying with cooking oil and seasonings and cooking at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes.
Why this recipe works for people with diabetes
Instant Pot asparagus is a terrific side dish to serve with any meal if you have diabetes. Asparagus is a low-calorie, low-carbohydrate, nutrient-rich vegetable.
One cup of cooked asparagus has 40 calories, only 7 grams of carbohydrates, and is a good source of zinc, selenium, several B vitamins, vitamin A, and folate.
The ghee adds a healthy amount of fat and extra calories to this dish, helping it to make you full and keep you full long after your meal is finished. If you’re looking to save on calories, you can decrease the amount of ghee by half to save 225 calories per recipe.
Other low carb side dishes to try
Instant Pot Asparagus
- Insatnt Pot or other electric pressure cooker
- 1 pound asparagus spears washed, with the woody ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspsoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the asparagus on a wire trivet into the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water.
- Set the pressure to low and cook for 4 minutes. When the timer beeps, let the insant pot naturaly release the steam.
- Remove from the Instant Pot and transfer to a tray and season with salt and pepper
- Mix ghee, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small dish. Drizzle over top of the asparagus. Garnish with cranberries, pistachios, and capers (optional) and serve.