Low Carb Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers
These easy cream cheese stuffed peppers are the perfect low carb appetizer or side dish. With only 7 ingredients, you can whip these up for yourself or a crowd in just 20 minutes!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s low-carb. This recipe is perfect for managing your blood sugar if you have diabetes or follow a low-carb or keto diet to manage your weight.
- A quick and simple appetizer that everyone will love.
- Only 7 ingredients! Everything you need is easy to find (you might even have it on hand already).
- It’s an excellent source of vitamin C! Just one small pepper has over 100% of your daily value of vitamin C- a super nutrient that boosts the immune system, increases iron absorption, and lowers the risk of heart disease.
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What you’ll need
- Mini bell peppers: For the perfect snackable appetizer or side dish, use mini peppers instead of full-sized ones. Make this recipe fun for the eyes as well as delicious and healthy by using yellow, orange, and red peppers.
- Olive oil: As a dietitian, olive oil is one of my favorite oils to use and to recommend. Regularly including olive oil in your diet, in place of other types of oil, has been shown to benefit heart health and possibly other chronic diseases.
- Cream cheese: Any type of cream cheese will work for this recipe, although you can save on fat and calories by choosing light cream cheese.
- Ranch seasoning (optional): You can choose to skip out on the ranch seasoning, but adding it gives these peppers an extra kick of flavor.
- Green onion
- Cheddar cheese
How to make this recipe
- Slice the mini bell peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds, stem, and wash well.
- Lay the peppers on a baking sheet and brush evenly with olive oil (or alternatively you can gently toss them with olive oil in a medium-sized bowl).
- Bake the peppers in an oven that’s been preheated to 350 degrees F for 8-9 minutes or until slightly tender.
- While the peppers bake, make the cream cheese stuffing. Mix the softened cream cheese with onion, garlic, seasonings, and shredded cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer (or mash with a fork until evenly mixed).
- Once the peppers have cooled enough to touch, fill each of them evenly with the cream cheese mixture.
- Once the peppers are filled, place them back in the oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until cream cheese browns slightly on top and shredded cheese has fully melted.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Instead of boiling peppers, baking them for a short time before stuffing them helps make them perfectly tender. Baking them instead of boiling helps to reduce nutrient loss, like vitamin C, in the water and cuts down on dishes.
Peppers are high in vitamin C, with over 100% of your daily value in one small pepper. If you’re folling a low-carb diet to manage your diabetes, stuffed peppers are a great way to cut down on carbs while still being satisfied.
Sweet peppers are perfect for stuffing with cream cheese, cheese, garlic, green onions, and seasonings like this recipe. For fun variations, try adding other chopped herbs or swapping some of the cream cheese or cheddar cheese with goat cheese or blue cheese.
Why this recipe works for people with diabetes
Each cream cheese stuffed pepper has only 100 calories, 3 grams of carbohydrates, 9 grams of fat, and 3 grams of protein. The fat and protein in this recipe help to keep you full and satisfied without having an effect on your blood sugar.
With almost no carbs, these stuffed peppers are the perfect snack or appetizer to serve prior to a meal that may have more carbs, so that you can more easily manage your blood sugars.
Other easy low-carb appetizers you’ll enjoy
Try one of these other low carb appetizers that you and the whole family will enjoy!
Red white and blue berry cheese bites
The easiest instant pot asparagus recipe
Are you ready to make these creamy, cheesey peppers that no one can resist? Then what are you waiting for? Go grab your peppers, turn up the oven, and get ready to enjoy this filling and nutritious appetizer today! And after you try it (and hopefully love it like I do), remember to give it a 5-star rating & share it with me on Instagram by tagging me @ErinPalinskiWade
Low Carb Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- Baking sheet
- Baking brush
- Backing tray
- Electric mixer
- 12 mini bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tsp ranch seasoning (optional)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Slice each mini bell pepper lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Lay peppers on a baking sheet and likely cover with oil using a baking brush (or toss in a bowl to cover evenly)
- Bake peppers for 8-9 minutes or until slightly tender.
- While peppers bake, create stuffing. In a large bowl, mix together softened cream cheese with onion, garlic, seasonings, and shredded cheese with an electric mixer (or mash with a fork until evenly mixed).
- Remove peppers from the oven and fill evenly with stuffing.
- Once filled, place back in the oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until cream cheese browns slightly on top and shredded cheese has fully melted.
- Serve warn and enjoy!