This watermelon pizza makes the perfect dessert for your next summer get together. With only four ingredients, this no-cook recipe can be made in under 5 minutes and will be a huge hit with the entire family. And, with no added sugar, it’s blood-sugar friendly & one of the easiest ways to get even the pickiest eater excited to eat more fruit!
Why you will love this recipe
Watermelon just feels like summer, doesn’t it? But honestly as much as I love eating it, I get intimidated buying an entire watermelon. I feel like I will buy it, slice it up, and after a day or two my family will get bored of eating it. So that’s why I decided to come up with a new – and super easy- way to serve watermelon. Watermelon pizza!
I love this recipe for so many reasons, but here are a few of the main ones:
- Made in less than 5 minutes– You read that right. All you have to do is slice the watermelon, add on the yogurt and toppings, and you are ready to serve. My two year old can even make it (except I do the cutting!)
- Just four ingredients- I love easy recipes and to me the easiest recipes are the ones with the fewest ingredients. With only four ingredients that you probably already have in the house, you can make this recipe anytime without having to run out to the store.
- The perfect way to get picky eaters excited to eat more fruit- I know I have shared my struggle to feed my picky kids with you (and my picky husband). Well this recipe is perfect for those picky ones in your house because anyone can get in on the fun in making this ‘pizza’ and you can experiment with different toppings and combinations so everyone is happy!
- The easiest dessert recipe for summer barbeques– I mean seriously, who wouldn’t want a slice of this pie poolside, am I right? It is so colorful & refreshing. And as a bonus, with the red, white, and blue colors, it makes the perfect recipe for Fourth of July!
Four Simple Ingredients
I think I may have mentioned this before, but this recipe is S-I-M-P-L-E ! Just four ingredients and a few steps and you have a beautiful, sweet watermelon pizza ready to serve.
My kids really can make it themselves (which makes it even more fun). We make ‘watermelon pizza making’ a fun activity where everyone gets their own slice to decorate however they’d like. And when the kids are more involved, then tend to eat more of the food. That’s a mom win in my book!
And since this recipe is packed full of antioxidants and fiber thanks to the fruit, I am a happy camper when I see them enjoying it.
Here’s what you need to make this recipe:
- Watermelon: Like you need more reasons to eat watermelon, right? Since watermelon is 90% water, it makes the perfect refreshing snack to boost hydration on those hot summer days. Plus watermelon provides a good source of antioxidants such as vitamin A & C which can help to promote healthy skin and support your immune system.
- Plain Greek yogurt: The Greek yogurt serves as the frosting for your pizza while providing a source of protein (around 15 grams per serving!) to help stabilize blood sugar levels. Opt for plain Greek yogurt with no added sugars, since the flavored versions typically have hidden sugars.
- Strawberries: Berries are one of my favorite dietitian-recommended foods that help lower blood sugar which is why I love adding them to this pizza. Strawberries are low in sugar while providing a good source of fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants, which can help prevent blood sugar spikes and lower the risk of developing chronic conditions.
- Blueberries: I love the color these add to this recipe, but as one of the highest antioxidant rich berries they also provide a good source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, and manganese.
Once you’ve got your four simple ingredients laid out and ready, you are ready to get started on the fruit pizza making fun!
- Take your watermelon and make a big, round slice.
- Use your pizza cutter to slice the large, round slice of watermelon into “pizza” slices.
- Spread the Greek yogurt evenly over the top of the watermelon to make your “frosting.”
- Top with strawberries and blueberries, and maybe even some mint as garnish.
- Served chilled and enjoy a slice!
Using a seedless watermelon is ideal for this recipe, since it is much easier to bite into a frosted watermelon slice without worrying you’ll eat a seed you didn’t see!
I recommend using unsweetened Greek yogurt. This yogurt contains more protein, which not only helps you to stay full longer but also helps to slow down how quickly the fruit is converted into sugar in the bloodstream, making it easier to manage blood glucose. Unsweetened is best to avoid added sugars- the sweetness from the fruit complements the tartness of the yogurt well.
Absolutely! If you need to avoid dairy, you can use a plant-based yogurt instead such as coconut yogurt. Or, if you prefer an even thicker frosting, you can spread whipped cream cheese as a topping instead.
Yes! People with diabetes can enjoy watermelon. The glycemic load of watermelon (the measurement of how much a typical serving will impact blood sugar) is considered low. However, since watermelon contains mostly carbohydrate, it is best to pair it with slow digested proteins, fats, or fiber to improve blood sugar- like the Greek yogurt in this recipe!
After slicing, watermelon will typically stay good in the fridge for up to 4 days. I would recommend only frosting the slices of watermelon pizza you plan to eat the same day, otherwise the yogurt spread can get a bit watery.
Hungry for more summertime healthy dessert recipes?
If you and your family loved this simple watermelon pizza with yogurt frosting recipe, I’ve got some more recipes for you to enjoy this summer:
- Summer Berry Smoothie
- Guilt Free Summer Snacks
- Slimmed Down Black Forest Cake Recipe
- Red White and Blue Berry Cheese Bites
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie
- Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles
- Low Carb Keto Chocolate Banana Bread
- Oat Banana Blueberry Muffins
- The Ultimate List of Diabetic Desserts
Ready to enjoy this watermelon pizza? Go grab your pizza cutter & let’s get started. And after you try it (and hopefully love it like I do), remember to give it a 5-star rating & share it with me on Instagram by tagging me @ErinPalinskiWade
Watermelon Pizza with Yogurt Frosting
- Pizza Cutter
- 1/8 watermelon, raw
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the watermelon into even ‘pizza slices.’
- Spread the Greek yogurt evenly over the top of the watermelon.
- Top with strawberries and blueberries.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
- Using a seedless watermelon is best for this recipe, since it is much easier to bite into a frosted watermelon slice without worrying you’ll eat a seed you didn’t see.
- Slice the watermelon before frosting it to cut down on having to clean the knife after each slice.
- It is best to use unsweetened, plain Greek yogurt, but you can substitute with a dairy free yogurt or cream cheese if preferred.
- You can also experiment with a variety of fruit toppings such as blackberries, pomegranate seeds, and even use some fresh mint leaves as garnish for some bonus freshness and flavor!
- Only frost the watermelon slices you plan to eat in the same day. The unfrosted watermelon slices can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.