My Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili can be thrown together in just 5 minutes. This chili recipe with whole food ingredients is the perfect comfort food, especially during the cold winter months. And it’s super budget-friendly at only $0.75 per serving!
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
Looking for a veggie-packed, healthy meal that your family will love but can’t find the time? There are never enough hours in the day to do everything, including prepping and preparing a healthy meal. For this reason, I like focusing on creating easy recipes that can be prepped in under 5 minutes and packed full of protein and fiber.
I have so many clients tell me they want to eat more fiber and add more plant-based food to their diet. However, they often believe it has to be super time-consuming. Guess what?! IT’S NOT! Plant-based, family-friendly meals like this one can be incredibly easy to make and in general, a big cost-saver too.
This Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili recipe is one of my favorites. Especially because I can prep it so fast I don’t miss any time with the kids and it cooks itself. As a bonus, it costs less than $0.75 per serving. Yup! It doesn’t get much better than that.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili Ingredients
- Beans – I love black beans, kidney beans, and cannellini beans, but honestly you can use any bean you like best. Some other great options are red beans, navy beans, and pintos.
- Veggies -I love this chili recipe because you can add or omit different vegetables, and the taste is still wonderful. I’m using diced tomatoes, green, red, and yellow bell peppers, onion, corn, and chili peppers.
- Seasonings – What’s chili without a little heat? For flavor, I’m adding taco and chili seasoning. You can buy seasoning packets at the store or keep reading to see how to make your own taco chili seasoning.
- Other Chili ingredients: I love finishing my chili with a dollop of salsa and a little sprinkle of cheese. You can also add a bit of Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream and sliced avocado.
How to Make Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- Gather all your ingredients and add them to your slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 4 hours.
- Serve hot with a variety of toppings to customize your chili bowl.
Tips for Making Veggie Chili in the Crock Pot
- If you like your chili soupier, add a little bit of water or vegetable broth to the pot and mix it together with the other ingredients. Alway salt and pepper to taste.
- Crockpot Liners make cleanup a breeze. They are these little plastic bags that go inside of your slow cooker. Once finished, you toss it out, and your crockpot is still clean. It may need a little rinsing if you stir the chili and end up puncturing the liner.
How to Make Homemade Chili Taco Seasoning
If you Google taco seasoning, you will find TONS of recipes with specific measurements. But for me, when it comes to seasonings, I like eyeballing it. (Sorry to those people who want the measurements) All you need for homemade taco seasoning is:
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- paprika (smoked for more flavor)
- salt and pepper
- onion powder
- pinch of crushed red pepper
Go light on the salt or totally omit it. If you want the chili to be spicier just add more crushed red pepper.
Can you freeze this vegetarian chili recipe?
Yes! That is actually a really good idea. Chili is great for meal prepping. To freeze, allow the chili to cool completely. Then use a freezer bag for Foodsaver for storing.
Tips for freezing: Store in portions. This makes the chili go further and you won’t waste it if you decide you only want a little bit or for a lunch size. Save space by storing the chili flat in the freezer. You can also keep it in mason jars.
What are some other ideas for topping chili?
- Sour Cream
- Greek Yogurt
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Sliced jalapeños (raw or pickled)
- Diced Onions (white or red)
What tools do you recommend for this slow cooker recipe?
If you are looking for the best slow cooker option, this one is my favorite! Its 6-quart capacity can feed up to 7+ people. I love the digital read with a timer and the locked lid that help provide a better seal.
More Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Parm
- Cranberry BBQ Meatballs
- Balsamic Honey Chicken Vegetable Wrap
- Slow Cooker Veggie Strata
5 Minute Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- Slow cooker
- 1 can black beans, drained 15.5 ounces
- 1 can kidney beans, drained 15.5 ounces
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained 15.5 ounces
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 can corn, drained 10 ounces
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained 10 ounces
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 can chili peppers, drained 4.5 ounces
- 1 Tbs taco seasoning
- 1 Tbs chili seasoning
- Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve warm. Top with shredded cheese and sour cream if desired.