Love a thick, creamy milkshake but afraid it will spike your blood sugar? Think again! This six ingredient, plant-based keto milkshake can be made in under 5 minutes and contains 90% fewer carbs than a traditional milkshake…while tasting just as good. Plus you most likely have everything in the house already to make it right now!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy recipe with only six ingredients!
- Low carb keto and no added sugar
- Packed with protein
- Creamy and indulgent
- The best way to satisfy your sweet tooth without spiking blood sugar
What you’ll need
- Unsweetened almond milk: Compared to cow’s milk, unsweetened almond milk is plant-based and also lower in carbs, sugar, and calories. The nutty flavor of almond milk perfectly complements the peanut butter in this recipe.
- Plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese: Greek yogurt helps to thicken up your milkshake, giving it the creamy consistency of a regular chocolate shake. Plain Greek yogurt (or cottage cheese) is high in both protein and healthy fats, while being low in sugar. Studies have shown that consuming yogurt may also help improve blood sugar levels and insulin sensitivity, making this a great ingredient to include for those who have diabetes. To make this recipe completely plant-based, you can use an unsweetened vegan yogurt.
- Peanut butter: Nuts are full of protein, fiber, and healthy fats, and are also one of my favorite foods that lower blood sugar. Higher peanut butter consumption is also associated with a reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Be sure to opt for a natural peanut butter without any added sugars.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder: Cocoa consumption is linked to lower blood pressure, along with reduced “bad” cholesterol, blood sugar, and inflammation due to its high polyphenol content.
- Erythritol, or your favorite low-sugar granulated sweetener: Erythritol is a sugar-free and low calorie sweetener that does not impact blood sugar levels, making it a great sugar substitute for people with diabetes!
How to make this recipe
- Set up your high speed blender and prepare your ingredients.
- In a high speed blender, add the unsweetened almond milk.
- Add Greek yogurt (or cottage cheese).
- Add erythritol (or your favorite low-carb sweetener).
- Add unsweetened cocoa powder (or chocolate protein powder).
- Warm peanut butter briefly in a microwave, then add to the blender.
- Add ice and blend, adding more ice until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pour milkshake into a glass and serve immediately.
Normally, milkshakes are made with ice cream and cow’s milk. Both ice cream and milk tend to be high in sugar (cow’s milk contains naturally occurring sugar from lactose) and are not considered to be keto or low carb. This keto recipe uses unsweetened almond milk, Greek yogurt, and erythritol to replace the creamy and sweet characteristics of ice cream in a classic chocolate milkshake.
In order to make a no sugar added milkshake, you need to simply focus on using ingredients without added sugars. Using unsweetened almond milk, erythritol, and unsweetened cocoa powder allows you to cut back on added sugars in this recipe in order to make it low carb and keto friendly.
If you’re not a fan of peanut butter, feel free to omit it as an ingredient altogether, and you will have a chocolate milkshake! This recipe will also work well with many other flavors of protein powder, including vanilla, coffee, strawberry, and more! Feel free to use this recipe as a starting off point to bounce off from, and experiment a bit to find your favorite flavor!
Why this recipe works for people with diabetes
People with diabetes have to pay special attention to their diet, especially when it comes to carbohydrate and sugar intake. Since milkshakes are usually quite high in added sugar, this milkshake recipe is a much better choice for managing blood sugar levels.
In general, low carb keto recipes are great for diabetes due to the low sugar and carb content. In addition, this recipe is packed with protein and healthy fats to help you feel full for longer, and will satisfy your sweet tooth without any added sugars.
Not only is this milkshake recipe low in sugar, it is also packed with ingredients that help control your blood sugar:
- The base for this low carb milkshake is unsweetened almond milk. This plant-based nut milk is low on the glycemic index and is less likely to cause spikes in blood sugar than regular cow’s milk, making it a great choice for diabetes. People with diabetes should consider consuming more nuts (including both nut butters and nut milks) due to their blood sugar reducing properties.
- Erythritol is a sugar free and low calorie sweetener that does not impact blood sugar levels.
- Unsweetened yogurt, which is rich in beneficial probiotics, may help people with diabetes improve blood sugar control and insulin sensitivity.
- Cocoa is rich in polyphenols which have been associated with a reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes, along with helping to improve insulin sensitivity, blood sugar balance, and help prevent heart disease. Using an unsweetened version of cocoa powder allows you to get the most out of these health benefits.
Other recipes you may enjoy
Love this milkshake and want more diabetes-friendly dessert ideas? I’ve got you covered! Here’s a list of a few other dessert recipes for the next time you are craving something sweet:
- Low Carb Chocolate Banana Bread
- Keto Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Sugar Free Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
- 5 Low-Carb Dessert Recipes That’ll Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
Ready to make your peanut butter & chocolate milkshake without worrying about your blood sugar? Go fire up your blender & get started. And after you try it (and hopefully love it like I do), remember to give it a 5-star rating & share it with me on Instagram by tagging me @ErinPalinskiWade
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese
- 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder
- 1½ tbs natural peanut butter
- 2 tbs sweetener (erythritol)
- ice as needed/preferred (3/4 cup-1 cup)
- Incorporate all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend to desired consistency.
- Warm PB before adding to help it blend more easily
- As you blend, add ice a little bit at a time. You may need more or less ice depending on your preferred consistency.
- You can substitute another unsweetened plant-based milk, like soy, in place of almond milk.
- If you’re not a fan of peanut butter, feel free to omit it altogether or substitute with another nut butter with little to no added sugar.
- Another flavor of low-sugar protein powder would work well in place of cocoa powder or chocolate protein.
- To make this recipe completely plant-based, opt for a vegan, unsweetened yogurt instead of Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
- If you have any leftovers, try freezing them in a popsicle mold to save for later!
- Leftovers can also be stored in the refrigerator, blending with ice again when ready to consume.