Easiest Low Carb Blondie Mug Cake with Prune Glaze
What could be better than a sweet, gooey dessert that can be made in under two minutes? How about that dessert also being low in carbs with no added sugar?! Sound too good to be true? It isn’t! This low carb blondie mug cake with prune juice glaze is going to be your new favorite!
This post was made in partnership with Sunsweet Growers. As always, all opinions are my own.
I am a dessert person… can’t get enough. But as a registered dietitian, I know how important it is to limit added sugar in the diet. So that’s why I am always testing out new ways to sweeten recipes without added sugar. And do you know what my latest secret ingredient is? Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune Juice! Yup, prune juice. As a natural source of fiber (3 grams per serving) and no added sugar, this sweet juice makes the perfect swap for added sugar and is a great way to feel good about what you are eating. I use it to sweeten both the mug cake and the frosting and the results are amazing (or should I say Amaz!n).
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- No added sugar! This recipe is sweetened only with 100% prune juice and erythritol.
- Low in carbs! This entire dessert recipe contains only 10.5 grams of net carbs.
- Made in minutes! This mug cake can easily be prepped and prepared (in the microwave!) in under 3 minutes.
- Only 6 ingredients! You probably have everything you need to make this recipe in your house right now.
What You’ll Need
Almond flour– I used almond flour in this recipe to give a brownie-like texture to the dessert with less carbohydrates (and more fiber) than traditional flour. And since this flour is higher in protein, it helps to keep you feeling full longer while promoting stable blood sugar levels as well.
Sunsweet Amaz!n 100% Prune Juice– I love using this 100% prune juice to sweeten recipes without added sugar. And with 3 grams of fiber per serving, no added sugar, and five essential vitamins and minerals, it makes the perfect choice for flavoring recipes while helping to maintain your digestive health so you can feel your best. Because it feels good to feel good.
Protein Powder – The addition of protein powder to this mug cakes provides flavor and structure to the recipe along with additional protein to help you stay satisfied without spiking blood sugar.
Erythritol – Powdered erythritol is used in combination with 100% prune juice to create a sweet, frosted glaze for this mug cake. As a sugar alcohol, it provides no calories or carbohydrates while acting much like traditional powdered sugar.
How to Make a Low Carb Blondie Mug Cake
- In a small bowl, mix together dry ingredients (reserve erythritol sweetener for glaze).
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg. Add in prune juice and mix well.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into egg mixture to create the mug cake batter.
- Pour batter into a greased mug or ramakin.
- Microwave on high 1.5 to 2 minutes until mug cake holds its shape and a toothpick comes out clean. If cake is slightly mushy, microwave in 30 second intervals until desired consistency is achieved.
- While mug cake is in microwave, add sweetener into a small bowl and slowly add prune juice teaspoon by teaspoon while stirring until glaze reaches desired consistency.
- Allow mug cake to cool slightly. Then, drizzle prune glaze over top and enjoy!
I use prune juice as a replacement for added sugar in both the mug cake batter as well as the frosting glaze since it provides a delicious sweet taste with no added sugar. Prune juice also contains a natural source of fiber along with essential nutrients, allowing it to provide health benefits as well.
Almond flour is used in this recipe to reduce the overall carbohydrate content of the mug cake. If you do choose to substitute almond flour with another flour, keep in mind the carbohydrate content of the recipe (and the impact on blood sugar) may increase. Also, almond flour absorbs more fluid than many other flours, so if you do choose to replace this with another flour, you may have to adjust the amounts of other ingredients as well to get the same results.
Absolutely! I made this recipe as blood sugar friendly as possible so people with diabetes can enjoy it often. Because this recipe contains no added sugar, is low in carbohydrate, and provides a source of fiber and protein, it is well-balanced to help promote healthy blood sugar levels.
This recipe was created and designed to be made in the microwave. However, you can use an oven to cook this as well. Just be sure to use an oven-safe ramekin and bake at 350 F for 15 to 20 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
Other recipes you may enjoy
Are you a dessert lover too? Then you are in luck! My blog is filled with sweet treats that won’t spike blood sugar. Here’s a few of my other favorite quick and easy desserts without the added sugar:
Sugar Free Peanut Butter Cookies
Sugar Free Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
Are you ready to make a warm, delicious mug cake in less than 3 minutes (that tastes so good you’ll never miss the sugar)? Then what are you waiting for? Go grab a mug, turn on your microwave, and get ready to enjoy this low carb blondie faster than you can read this blog post. And after you try it (and hopefully love it like I do), remember to give it a 5-star rating & share it with me on Instagram by tagging me @ErinPalinskiWade
Easiest Low Carb Blondie Mug Cake with Prune Glaze
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 Whisk
- 1 mug
- 2 Tbs almond flour
- 1 Tbs vanilla protein powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbs Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune Juice
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sugar-free confectioner ‘sugar’ with erythritol (see photography note below)
- 3 tsp Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune Juice
Mug cake instructions:
- In a small bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Whisk egg in separate bowl. Add egg and juice to dry ingredients to create batter.
- Place batter into a greased mug or ramakin. Microwave on high 1.5 to 2 minutes until mug cake holds its shape and a toothpick comes out clean. If cake is slightly mushy, microwave in 30 second intervals until desired consistency is achieved.
- In a small bowl, add sweetener and add prune juice teaspoon by teaspoon while stirring until glaze reaches desired consistency. Drizzle over mug cake and enjoy!
- This recipe is best prepared in the microwave, but if you do wish to use the oven bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes using an oven-safe ramekin.
- This recipe makes one serving. If you do wish to divide the serving, store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- This recipe has only been tested with almond flour. If you do choose to substitute almond flour with another flour, keep in mind you may have to adjust the amounts of other ingredients to get the same results.