Do you remember back when you were a kid waking up to the aroma of freshly baked cinnamon rolls filling the house?
For me, this was a tradition on holidays. Just the smell of cinnamon instantly takes me back to memories of those happy mornings. Maybe because of this I have developed a love affair with cinnamon rolls. I seriously dream of savoring these gooey little guys on a regular basis. And if I go to the mall and pass the food court where they are serving up rolls the size of my head, forget it! I can’t resist.
The problem with cinnamon rolls is that, as much as I would love to eat them on a regular basis, they are calorie-dense and contain saturated fats and sugar.
So what’s a cinnamon roll obsessed mama to do? With the help of my favorite flatbread ever, Flatout Flatbread and their new endorsement from Weight Watchers, I created a fiber and protein- containing spin on the traditional cinnamon roll recipe. Not only is this recipe a good source of fiber and protein, but it is also incredibly simple and fun to make. So simple that Joey can pretty much make these all on his own, and if a 3 year old can do it, I know you can make them too!
Using Flatout Original Light Flatbread instead of dough allows you to incorporate a whole grain that provides both protein and fiber with no added sugar. And for those of you who are Weight Watchers members, each Flatout Flatbreads provides between 2 to 4 SmartPoints value. The Beyond the Scale program, which includes the SmartPoints food plan, allows Weight Watchers members to lose weight while eating the food they love, like cinnamon rolls!
If you are tired of passing up on your favorite foods, you no longer have to. With just a few recipe modifications, such as swapping in Flatout Flatbread in replacement of refined grains, you can amplify the nutrient content of any recipe.
Disclosure: I have partnered with Flatout Flatbread to bring this recipe and post to you. Although I have been compensated for my time, all opinions are my own.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
High Fiber Cinnamon Rolls
- food processor
- Mixing bowl
- Muffin tin
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a food processor, blend together dates, water, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon along with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining cinnamon into ½ cup yogurt and set aside.
- Cut each flatbread horizontally into 6 thin slices.
- Alternate coating the top of each flatbread piece with yogurt or date mixture, so that you end up with 6 flatbread pieces topped with yogurt and 6 flatbread pieces topped with the date mixture.
- Place one flatbread piece with date mixture on top of a flatbread slice coated with the yogurt mixture. Slowly roll the flatbread to create a cinnamon roll shape.
- Repeat this process to create 6 ‘cinnamon rolls’
- Place the rolls into a muffin tin. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over each roll.
- Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the flatbread has become slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes. Coat with the remaining Greek yogurt as frosting and serve warm.
Weight Watcher SmartPoints value (per serving): 4
Weight Watchers for services and SmartPoints are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. Trademarks are used with permission.