Nothing says ‘holidays’ like cookies everywhere, am I right? To me, December marks the beginning of ‘cookie-overload’ season. I love cookies a little too much, so when there is a way to still enjoy the great taste of a chocolate cookie, but in a healthier way, I am totally for it. That’s what inspired this recipe. I have seen recipes for black bean brownies all over, but I have not seen quite as many black bean chocolate cookie recipes. So I decided to make my own. The addition of the black beans helps to keep the cookies moist and chewy while reducing the amount of added fat and sugar needed in the recipe.
Black Bean Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Food processor or blender
- Mixing bowl
- Baking pan
- 1 cup black beans, canned and drained
- 2 Tbs peanut butter
- 2 Tbs low-fat chocolate milk
- 2 Tbs whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbs dark cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 12 pieces Hershey’s peppermint kisses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor or blender, combine rinsed black beans, peanut butter and chocolate milk, blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until well combined. It should resemble a dough once mixed.
- On a prepared baking pan, form small balls of dough and place 1-inch apart. Place 1 kiss in the center of each ball and press lightly into dough.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until dough is firm. Let cool and enjoy! .