Want a dessert but do not want the heat in the kitchen? Why not make a dessert in a slow cooker this summer and enjoy the out doors while it cooks! Rice pudding is one of my favorite desserts and it is simple and delicious to make. So in honor of National Rice Pudding Day, which is today August 9th, I made this tropical ginger rice pudding with fresh fruit, whole grain rice and lite coconut milk, making this go-to treat only calories per serving! Rice pudding can be made a variety of ways and with different ingredients, which can improve the nutrition content.
Tropical Ginger Rice Pudding
Serves 8 (about 1/2 cup serving)
- 4 cups whole grain brown rice, cooked
- 1 (13.6-ounce) can unsweetened lite coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ cup pineapple, diced
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- Lightly spray the inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cooked rice, coconut milk, water and sugar. Stir in cinnamon, ginger, and pineapple. Pour mixture into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 2 hours. Stir before serving.
- Serve hot immediately or refrigerate for 1-2 hours, until cool.
- Top with coconut (or toasted coconut) and extra pineapple.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 131 calories, 23 g CHO, 4 g Fat, 2 g PRO, 2 g Fiber, 5 g sugar